SCERA provides retirement allowances and other benefits to the safety and general members of Sonoma County and five other participating agencies as listed below:
- Sonoma County Water Agency
- Valley of the Moon Fire District
- Community Development Commission
- Sonoma County Transportation Authority
- Superior Court of California - County of Sonoma
SCERA is governed by the California Constitution, the County Employees' Retirement Law of 1937, and the bylaws, procedures and policies adopted by the SCERA Board. The Sonoma County Board of Supervisors or the governing bodies of the other agencies may also adopt resolutions, as permitted by the County Employees Retirement Law of 1937, which may affect benefits of SCERA members.